Monday, October 8, 2012

Dahye and Hyeonsoo part 1

My friend Dami asked me to paint 2 mandalas as a wedding gift.
It was on short notice so I had to work all the time I had between my last few flights to get them done in time. And they are.
Dahye and Hyeonsoo will get married on Thursday.
They came all the way from Korea for this special day.
I decided to paint them at the same time. I got this idea as they are both born in the same year.
Normally I start and don't know where I will end but this one I designed in my head first. I already knew from the start which animals I wanted to use.
Well it was all a bit unusual but I think it turned out fine. 
I will take you along on the journey I had in my mind and which came alive on canvas.
Dahye
Is born 30/03 

I painted 3 yellow/golden Borromean rings. They consist of three circles or ellipses linked together to form a Brunnian link. This mathematical term means that no two of the rings are linked, yet they are all linked. 
There is Love. There is Hope. And there is Faith.
There is Birth and there is Life, and there is Death.
The Sun, the Moon and the Stars. 
The body, the mind, and the spirit.
All of these things are best in threes and are never enough by themselves.

Each 2 rings are linked again 3 times for the month of her birth date. So 6 rings in total


Hyeonsoo
Is born 14/2 (Valentine's Day)

1 (red) ball, symbol of energy and beginning.
4 (green) rowan berry leaves
2 (orange) branches of rowan berries, symbol of protection.The rowan has long been honored by the Celts for its balance of beauty and hardiness. When we silence ourselves long enough to listen to the rowan speaking. We hear her message: "look deeper, see through the object before your eyes and you will encounter visions into the worlds beyond the one you physically know." The wood of the rowan is traditionally used for divination tools and objects such as runes and wands. Rowan branches are the prime choice for divining rods. Druids also crafted rowan wood into their staffs. The druids maintained the rowan as a sacred container for protective energy. It resonates a high, clear vibration that naturally transforms lower (negative) energies. This is why it is revered as a protective symbol. We see more evidence of this protective energy in the white flowers of the rowan. Beautiful, bold, and crisp, these white flowers are symbolic of cleansing and safekeeping. From these flowers, crimson berries come forth. At the base of each berry is a tiny five-pointed star, an ancient symbol of protection, which lends further merit to the protective qualities of the rowan tree. These berries attract all kinds of songbirds and the Celts interpreted this as a positive omen – a blessing of goodwill, honor and peace.


More next time:)
Have a wonderful week!

6 comments:

  1. And they are so wonderful, love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so neat the way you just design these in your mind and bring them to life. I love reading the information behind everything. It is a big puzzle when you are done, to discover all the meanings! What a good person you are, to get these ready in time!!!
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. marianne, you are so kind. you may not know how much i appreciate your spiritual teaching. i come from that cloth too.....

    love love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved reading this marianne and so appreciate you sharing here, what a generous meaningful gift. you amazing me with your unending talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading the meanings behind each one, very interesting and as always the work is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your nice comments.
    I will post more in steps, otherwise the information is maybe too much in one time ;)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.
Always love to hear from you :)