Saturday, February 23, 2008

Om Mani Padme Hum

In the centre of this mandala (Joris) I painted the mantra Om Mani Padme Hum, in Tibetan syllables. Translated it says "The All is a precious jewel in the lotus flower which blooms in my heart". According to Gen Rinpoche The mantra Om Mani Padme Hum is easy to say yet quite powerful, because it contains the essence of the entire teaching. When you say the first syllable Om it is blessed to help you achieve perfection in the practice of generosity, Ma helps perfect the practice of pure ethics, and Ni helps achieve perfection in the practice of tolerance and patience. Pad, the fourth syllable, helps to achieve perfection of perseverance, Me helps achieve perfection in the practice of concentration, and the final sixth syllable Hum helps achieve perfection in the practice of wisdom. So in this way recitation of the mantra helps achieve perfection in the six practices from generosity to wisdom. The path of these six perfections is the path walked by all the Buddhas of the three times. What could then be more meaningful than to say the mantra and accomplish the six perfections? Other symbols used in this mandala are Lotus flowers, the yin yang symbol, the laughing face of the Buddha (in the 7th purple circle), fish (Koi) and lotus petals. Click to listen to the mantra Link: Dharma Haven

7 comments:

  1. Oh, this is beautiful...the mandala and the mantra. Thank you for explaining it. I've never known what it meant, though I remember it from the musical HAIR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is beautiful...the mandala and the mantra. Thank you for explaining it. I've never known what it meant, though I remember it from the musical HAIR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne. I agree with Kiki. This is beautiful. I love all the symbols and the mantra explanation. I wonder if you are a Buddhist? I studied Buddhism for a number of years and took my first two vows. Tibetan. At Chogyman Trungpa Rinpoche's place in Vermont and on Cape Cod with his students. But I have not meditated for years now and am no longer part of a group. I often say Om to myself during the day. Om namah shivia. Or the chant you have depicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kiki and Suki!
    I´m not religious, but Buddhism apeals to me the most!
    I must admit I know too little about it and I want to know and read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mandala. It is lovely, yet peaceful. Thanks for the explanation of the symbology. You do such stunning work. I can't believe how well you copied the symbols for the mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this piece. I can feel the calm and peace within....and also fourtune.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.
Always love to hear from you :)