Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Panta Rhei

Panta Rhei, "everything is in a state of flux" Panta Rhei, "alles stroomt of alles is in beweging" In this mandala I used the spiral. In terms of astrology, mysticism and myth the spiral translates into meanings of spirituality and rebirth. In terms of spirituality, the spiral symbol represents the path leading from outer consciousness (materialism, external awareness, ego, outward perception) to the inner soul (enlightenment, unseen essence, nirvana, cosmic awareness). In terms of rebirth or growth, the spiral symbol represents the consciousness of nature beginning from the core or center and thus expanding outwardly. This is the way of all things, as recognized by most mystics. De spiraal is het symbool van de spirituele groei. De spiraal drukt het cyclisch karakter uit van alles. Alles komt terug. "Panta rei". De wereld is cycliscH. Het menselijk bestaan is cyclisch, het komt steeds terug, maar niet zoals bij een cirkel, wel op een steeds hoger of lager niveau. De mens zoekt zijn weg in een spiraal. Het labyrint symboliseert deze spiraal. Sedert de oudheid diende men door een labyrint te gaan om een belangrijke plaats te bereiken

8 comments:

  1. very beautiful... the colors talk of that enlightenment, too... and 7 stars and 7 circles... a sacred number....
    once i wrote:
    all the paths are circles
    and all the goings are returns

    i really love the way we turn and turn in our life but by each turn we go higher as if moving on a spiral...
    very inspiring and magnificent, Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HB! I love the spiral as a symbol and have used it quite some times in my mandalas.
    In this mandala I loved the way of working instead of my ussual mandalas; different materials and a looser way of using the circle.
    Your words are always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank YOU, Marianne.
    think you have used circles and stars here very meaningfully... sure the artist's job is intuitive and s/he is not conscious about it...
    your circles and stars are randomly scattered on the spiral and some of the circles are transparent enough to show the path of the spiral and some are not so...
    these features talked to me... i saw them as the things appearing in our life on our path...
    love to you
    keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wunderschön Marianne, so beautiful this mandala, the colours and the spirals. I have the impression to find my centre when I look at this:)
    love
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. nog n mooi mandala my vriendin. ek was baie besig die laaste paar weke met my nuwe klas, maar nou voel ek beter. liefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so lovely. Thank you so much for leaving a comment on mine because you've given me a wonderful few minutes feasting my eyes on your wonderful photography and mandalas. I've learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really beautiful and thought provoking. Lovely piece of art and full of such wonderful colors and shapes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful mandala! I don't know how I missed all your posts this week, girl! I had sent you a card, and I see it has come back to me, with 10 cents short on postage. LOL. I will take it to the post office today and re-send! I am embarrased...I never checked the actual postage...just thought 2 stamps would be enough! Oh gosh! I am so sorry! It will get there soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.
Always love to hear from you :)